In the 1930’s, in the Crosby area; there were no churches in the area. There were no paved roads out here, just old logging roads or railroad beds. Camp Union was the railroad turn-around.
In the mid 30’s, the Assembly of God used the Crosby area as a mission outpost. They sent circuit-riding preachers in those days that went to several churches. In 1942, the first building, with one level, was built along with a 2-seater outhouse which lasted into the early 80’s.
Then in the 40’s, The Covenant church took over and sent pastor Wilcox. The church was called Crosby Community Covenant church.
In the 50’s, Emil Johnson bought the church for the community from the Covenant denomination for $1500. Joe Walk-in-Shaw was involved and the pastor then was Clarence Davis.
In the late 60’s, the church closed because everyone but Elsie Christopher moved. Elsie faithfully took care of the church and made sure the heat was turned on in the winter. And so, we have Christopher Rd next to the church.
In approximately, 1975 three women opened up the church to start a Sunday School; they were Carol Houde, Elsie Alexander, and Judy Siebel (Elsie & Judy have passed away). The Breithaupt’s, who were loggers, moved into the area. So, Dave and Bill started a church service taking turns preaching. As loggers, they eventually moved and the church was without spiritual leadership.
In approximately 1976, the church asked Village Missions to come and provide spiritual leadership. VM sent Paul Brosey (from Pennsylvania) to be the pastor. During this time, the church needed more space, so they decided to lift the building up and the main floor became the 2nd floor. The new first floor was for classrooms. The upper floor was the sanctuary, with a small room for the pastor’s office, which is still there today. Today, we call that sanctuary the Sparky’s room and the first floor the Cubbies room.
When the Brosey’s left, VM sent Tom and Jean Weaver plus their family to Crosby in 1981. Tom was the pastor for 20 years. During that time, the church’s name became Crosby Chapel. Tom finished the old building project and then added the 2nd sanctuary plus the gym. The church was again running out of space, so they started on the 3rd sanctuary which we have today. All of these projects were done with voluntary help from the congregation and people in the community. Today, this is unheard of.
In 2002, VM sent Tracy Benningfield to be the pastor.
In November of 2003, Gary Wilderbuer became the pastor here at Crosby Chapel.